Skip to main content

The transformation

The transformation.


Our practice was rising steadily and we were doing well for ourselves.
And today, she was going to deliver our twins.
But it was a complicated pregnancy and she was in the OT undergoing the c section.
The cord had tangled one of the twins.
All three of their lives were in danger.
To take my mind of things I went through some of our photos.
And I stopped at the first one, I couldn’t even recognize her in this photo.
It was first picture of us together which was posted on social media by me.
It was just me and her. Both of us suffering from severe obesity. Only half the both of us could fit the frame.
I was 5’9 and weighed 101kg and she was 5’11 and 120kg.
We were known as “the gentle giants”.
I first met her when I had just started my medical practice. She was a PG in the medicine department during that time. It was an instant connection with her.
She was funny and the gentlest person I had ever met. And she was the only one who didn’t bring up my weight in any of our discussions.
Our personalities and our weights almost matched.
We never talked about our weight but we both knew that it wasn’t just about our size or looks, it was our health at risk.
Bit of us being physicians, we knew the rampant epidemic of Obesity, especially in the younger group.
As doctors we first need to keep ourselves healthy before advising our patients.
So finally I decided that we both not only lose weight but transform ourselves to the best shape of our lives.
And the process began. We did everything from three hour personalized workout, to fat burners to supplements to even taking a one month leave from work just to concentrate on our workouts.
By the end of the year. We had done it.
We achieved the impossible. My wife had the perfect hourglass figure, and was the center of attraction at every function I lost fat bigtime, but wasn’t able to get the washboard abs I was aiming at. But I was fit now and she was happy with it.
Our transformation was the talk of the town; we were the inspiration for everyone.
It was all great. Over time fitness became a way of life for us.
Until this happened.
The doctor entered the room.
I stood up immediately and ran to him.
“I’m sorry, we could save only one of them” he said as handed me the baby.


Popular posts from this blog

Under attack

Under Attack

“We have a situation at the government district hospital. There seems to be an unidentified individual who has taken over wards on the right wing of the building. The doctors say he headed towards the paediatrics ward, and that he had a handgun with him, You need to report there immediately. We will send backup as soon as possible. We have to sort it out before the situation escalates to national news.” The chief commissioner gave the order. This was my first year as an inspector of this small town and this was a very delicate case to handle, in fact it required planning and a trained squad. I wasn’t ready for this but there was no other way. All the other officers were posted for security for the Minter of Energy who was visiting a Dam site for hydroelectricity opportunities. This Dam was the only thing which provided some economical value for the town. There was nothing much here. Population was below ten thousand, all below par socio economic status. The only concret…

The abandoned

The Abandoned
Mr. Kuthappa leaned against the wall adjacent to his bed and sipped the brownish, gold liquid from a tetra pack. Abstaining from what my eyes were showing “Mr. Kuthappa, what is that” I paced myself towards him, to show my authority, to demand the respect I deserved, to remind him he was the patient and I was the doctor. But my angry catwalk didn’t seem to intimidate him. Nothing was going to bother him now and we both knew I couldn’t save him with my knowledge or medications. It was too late. His body was completely submerged in the sea of alcohol. He continued sucking through the small hole of the tetra pack waiting to hit the sea bed. This was also a record new low in my life. An alcoholic drinking right in front of his doctor. “Oh, this” he let the pack swing between his index and thumb fingers. “This is what has guided me for the past 25 years. Always there for me in my bad times and good times.” Kuthappa gulped the remaining, squeezed the packet like a toothpas…

The diary of a freedom fighter

The diary of a freedom fighter.
I set the air condition to 18 C, turbo mode on, directed the air flow to my bed. Refreshed after a steaming, hot water shower I crashed, face first on my crisply draped bed. As the cool air performed its duty of drying me, I repositioned myself from prone to supine. A wet patch Today I decided to start a new book. But this time, it wasn’t a bestseller by a famous author, or a critically acclaimed book by an unknown author, or a book suggested by my reader friends (who read one book a year, so it had to be good) or a book recommended by amazon for me. Today, it was my grandfather’s diary, which my father had given me when I was 15 years old. The book dated back to the 1940s and it was a memoir of my grandfather’s time in pre-independent India. After 10 years of procrastination, finally the faded black cover of the diary was staring at me. I took a deep sniff of the approximately middle pages of the book. I did it before every new book. The peculiar, ink …